Hot Cross Buns Recipe
With Easter fast approaching, why not try something different and make your own hot cross buns.
Time: Preparation Approx 1:45, Cooking Time 0:25
- 2 x 8g sachets dried yeast
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
- 4 cups (600g) plain our
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60g butter
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising our
- apricot jam, warmed and sieved, for brushing
- Whisk yeast, milk and caster sugar until the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes. Sift plain flour with cinnamon, mixed spice and salt into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in butter.
- Stir in sultanas, cranberries (craisins), eggs and yeast mixture. Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead 5 mins. Put in large greased bowl. Cover. Leave in warm spot 3/4 hour. Punch down. Knead until smooth. Shape into 12 balls. Put into 30cm x 20cm greased baking tray. Set aside 1/4 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine self-raising flour and 1/4 cup (60ml) water. Pipe crosses onto the buns. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 15 minutes. Brush buns while warm with jam.